WHAT WE DO
The Champions of Change program works with a variety of community youth and parent groups to bring teens together to talk about the challenges of mental health and perceived causes of increased youth suicide. The goals of the gathering include:
- Youth connection and discussion about this difficult and stigmatized topic in a safe environment
- Education about mental health symptoms, causes and treatment options
- Youth-driven development of ideas, solutions and activities to combat depression and anxiety, and help reduce teen suicide
- Teen commitment and ownership of a process and program that is positive, serves others and has real-life implications and outcomes
- Data collection and dissemination to share with legislators, school and community leaders and parents to help affect change and ultimately reduce teen suicide
WHAT OUTCOMES DO WE WANT?
- Happy, healthy, balanced, confident, well-adjusted kids
- Decrease in the incidences of teen suicide
- Decrease in teen anxiety and depression
- Acceptance of mental illness as any other illness of the body
- To reduce shame and stigma surrounding mental illness
WHAT’S THE PROCESS? HOW DO I GET A GROUP STARTED?
It’s easy to get started! If you live in Southern Oregon, you can use the CONTACT FORM to request facilitation of a Champions of Change teen event. Your group will be responsible for promoting the event and gathering teens for attendance, as well as serving snacks and beverages. Our team will provide the logo assets, some swag and giveaways to encourage participation.
CAN I FACILITATE A GROUP ON MY OWN?
You may also choose to facilitate a group by yourself or with other adults. Below is a link to a Champions of Change Starter Sheet that gives you all the information you need to hold a gathering, as well as the logo to use in your promotional vehicles.
ABOUT CHAMPIONS OF CHANGE